Friday, February 19, 2021

Gardening in wooden shoes


 Have you ever worn wooden shoes?  Before my 44th birthday I had never worn them either.  Now I wonder how and why I waited that long.  Come to find out, they are great garden shoes.  They easily meet my garden shoe requirements of being mud/water proof and are easy to get on and off.  Even better, they can be made to fit to near perfection with some basic wood carving tools.  They offer great protection for your feet, too.  And best of all, they're made entirely of natural material -- nothing but solid wood -- and at the end of their life they won't end up in a landfill like all of my previous worn out garden shoes.
  My pair came from a tourist store in Holland, MI that resells Dutch made wooden shoes.  Someday, maybe we'll carve our own shoes.  (We just need to find a simple hand tool we can use for hollowing out the inside.)  They came with the traditional pointed shoe tip, which I recently decided to sand off, thus the temporary white tip until my garden work stains it back to garden brown.

No comments: